Research activities of the groups working in the field of hospital and environmental hygiene focus on:
- the pathogenesis and molecular epidemiology of food borne pathogens, especially enterohemorrhagic E. coli, EHEC (Emeritus Professor Helge Karch)
- the development of new strategies to improve hospital hygiene (Professor Dr. med. Stefanie Kampmeier)
- the relevance of water and the environment for human infections (Professor Thorsten Kuczius)
- the development and use of new typing methods for human pathogenic (nosocomial) pathogens (Professor Dr. med. Alexander Mellmann)
- glycobiology of host-pathogen interactions (Professor Johannes Müthing).