Biochemist Prof Lydia Sorokin investigates how protein structures surrounding cells in tissues can influence their function. Here, in the interview, she talks about her work as a scientist, her love of nature and digital formats for exchanging knowledge with international colleagues.
April 2022, Awarded Advanced ERC grant
- 1999: Habilitation in Cell & Developmental Biology, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany.
- 1983-1987: PhD, Faculty of Science, Physiology and Biochemistry Departments, University of Western Australia, Australia. Supervisors Prof. Evan Morgan and Prof. Georg Yeoh.
- 1977 – 1981: BSc, 1st Class Honours, Triple Major (Biochemistry, Physiology and Zoology), University of Western Australia, Western Australia.
- Since 2005: Professor of Pathobiochemistry, and Director of the Institute of Physiological Chemistry and Pathobiochemistry, Medical Faculty, University of Münster, Germany.
- Since 2019: Spokesperson, Cells-in-Motion Interfaculty Centre (CiMIC), University of Münster, Germany.
- Since 2001: Adjunct Professor, Anatomy and Human Biology Dept, University of Western Australia.
- Since 2019: Adjunct Professor, Youjiang Medical University for Nationalities, Guangxi Zhuang, China.
- 2002 – 2004: Professor of Tissue Biology, Head of Experimental Pathology, University of Lund, Sweden.
- 1999 – 2002: Junior Professor, Interdisciplinary Centre for Clinical Research (IZKF), University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany.
- 1995 – 1998: Group Leader, Experimental Medicine, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany.
- 1990 – 1994: Group Leader, Max Planck Connective Tissue Research Group, Erlangen, Germany.
- 1988 – 1990: Postdoctoral Fellow, Friedrich-Miescher-Laboratory, Max Planck Society, Tübingen, Germany.
SELECTED SCIENTIFIC ADVISORY BOARDS & REVIEW PANELS
- Since 2021: Danish Cardiovascular Research Academy (DaCRA), External Advisory Board.
- Since 2021: Scientific Advisory Board, Excellence Cluster ‘Engineering Molecular Systems’, University of Heidelberg, Germany.
- Since 2017: External Advisory Board (chair), Max Planck Inst. for Medical Research, Heidelberg, Germany.
- Since 2016: German Research Foundation (DFG) review board ‘Basic Principles of Biology and Medicine‘.
- Since 2016: External Advisory Board, Interdisciplinary Centre for Clinical Research (IZKF), University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany.
- Since 2018: Academic Board, the Board of Professors of the PhD Program in Biomedical Sciences and Translational Medicine, University of Brescia, Italy.
- Since 2014: Elected Member, North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences, Humanities & Arts.
- Since 2013: External Advisory Board, Centre for Molecular Medicine, Cologne University, Germany.
- Since 2012: Medical & Scientific Advisory Board 'DEBRA International’ for Epidermolysis Bullosa Research.
- 2015-2020: Scientific Advisory Board, Max Planck Society & Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) MaxSynBio Network, Germany.
- 2011/2012: Member of the NINDS (National Institutes of Neurological Disorders and Stroke), NIH, USA, Stroke Research Priorities Meeting.